Crochet along update: hat



Oh hey. Yeah, this isn't a hat. However, I am really proud of it. I struggled this month with learning how to double crochet. I watched videos on YouTube. I asked for help on Twitter and Instagram. I practiced. I can now proudly say that I've got it. 

However, my problem with it is that I cannot yet relate it to the pattern. This will be my hope to master some day. Perhaps I'll add this to my list of "resolutions" for 2013?

If you would like to sign up for a monthly crochet-along project, click here to read Alycia's blog. She will soon be posting what January's project is.

This entry was posted on Sunday, December 30, 2012 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

7 Responses to “Crochet along update: hat”

Alycia said...

don't worry you'll get it! is it a matter of reading the pattern or knowing where to place the stitch? each double crochet goes into he top of the stitch below it (depending on the pattern). and the stitch below will look like a little V.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Alycia. Putting the next stitch in makes sense to me. I think it's the reading the pattern bit. All of the videos I have watched say to chain a certain number and then double crochet after skipping 3. So I guess when I get to the pattern, I wonder if I do the same or follow as it says.

Tassie said...

Keep practicing... the more you do it, the easier it will become... Good job for trying... 2013 will be your year!!!

Alycia said...

ok i think I know what you mean! so you are at the end of your row and you have to "chain up" to get the next row to be all even in height. and since a double crochet is a tall stitch, it takes 3 chains to equal the height of a DC. if it was just a single crochet you were doing, it would probably say to chain 1. and if it were a HDC it would probably say to ch 2. but of course it's whatever the pattern says. i was confused about that too at first.

Unknown said...

Okay, that makes sense. I think I need to do enough chains for the first row of the pattern, though, because there's 10 DCs and I run out of room after 2. Then I end up going amigurumi style and that just doesn't work for this pattern!

Alycia said...

are you crocheting in the round, like a circle, or in rows back and forth? the hat is supposed to be made in the round.

Unknown said...

I was thinking of it like rows. Hmmm...

Recent Posts