the off season

We are reaching the off-season for wedding photography. Not much happens in the winter and so I've been muddling around with various crafts. The first one was that I wanted to teach myself how to read a crochet pattern. I have made simple scarves for some time now and whenever I would try anything else on my own, it would not look at all like I would like it to. I didn't even photograph the toy container I made our dog because it was just too embarassing to post anywhere.

So, off to learn crochet patterns I went.

First, I found that Lion Brand yarn has free patterns on their website. Then, I discovered that some people had made YouTube videos following these patterns step-by-step and explaining as they went. The pattern and video I started with was for an amigurumi giraffe.



Not having yellow and brown, I decided that I would use two shades of green, since that seemed to be what I had the most of.

So far so good.

Once I got to the fourth video clip, I was able to read the pattern on my own and continue making the giraffe. I almost have the body finished and would post photos of my progress except that it looks phallic at this stage.

I am so excited that this giraffe is actually turning out according to the pattern! I look forward to making more amigurumi animals, including octopi and turtles.

This entry was posted on Friday, October 28, 2011 and is filed under ,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

One Response to “the off season”

Amber D said...

All I know how to do is a straight line back and forth so I'm impressed.

Recent Posts