ingredient listServes 8
- 8 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 Tbs. Earth Balance margarine
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 2 cups grated vegan cheese (I used half daiya pepperjack cheese and half follow your heart cheddar-style)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (I eliminated this due to using the pepperjack, but use it if you don't use the pepperjack.)
- 2 egg equivalents (I used Ener-G Egg Replacer. Follow the instructions on the box for 2 eggs.)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (I didn't have these, so I used crumbled pita instead.)
Directions1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets, and boil 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid, and set aside.
2. Melt butter in same pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in soy milk, garlic, and reserved cooking liquid, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, and egg equivalents until cheese is melted. Fold in cauliflower.
3. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray (or simply use your cast iron skillet). Spread cauliflower mixture in baking dish, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake 30 minutes, or until casserole is hot and bubbly and breadcrumbs are crisp and brown.
These photos definitely do not do the taste justice. Try it!