recipe: mac n cheeze

This weekend I decided that I would try a new recipe. One of my favorite comfort foods is macaroni and cheese. Since I became vegan almost six years ago (I can't believe it's been that long!), mac 'n' cheese has definitely been altered so that I can still enjoy the creaminess without the dairy. There is another that I have been using from the Follow Your Heart recipe book. The one I used this weekend was very different, especially with using cauliflower instead of any type of noodles. Below is the recipe, altered from Vegetarian Times.


ingredient list

Serves 8
  • 8 cups cauliflower florets
  • 2 Tbs. Earth Balance margarine
  • 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups soy milk
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
  • 2 cups grated vegan cheese (I used half daiya pepperjack cheese and half follow your heart cheddar-style)
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper (I eliminated this due to using the pepperjack, but use it if you don't use the pepperjack.)
  • 2 egg equivalents (I used Ener-G Egg Replacer. Follow the instructions on the box for 2 eggs.)
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (I didn't have these, so I used crumbled pita instead.)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets, and boil 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid, and set aside.

2. Melt butter in same pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in soy milk, garlic, and reserved cooking liquid, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, and egg equivalents until cheese is melted. Fold in cauliflower.

3. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray (or simply use your cast iron skillet). Spread cauliflower mixture in baking dish, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake 30 minutes, or until casserole is hot and bubbly and breadcrumbs are crisp and brown.

These photos definitely do not do the taste justice. Try it!





This entry was posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

2 Responses to “recipe: mac n cheeze”

Amber D said...

Ooh it sounds great, this is also one of my comfort foods but I'm not eating it because well pasta really has no nutritonal value :( So was it satisfying from the comfort food standpoint?

Unknown said...

Yeah, pasta's a hard one. I get whole wheat pasta all the time and every once in a while I get spelt or soba noodles. Yes, it was definitely satisfying from the comfort food standpoint. Yum!

Recent Posts